Drunken Chorus is a registered charity and theatre company, established in 2007. We run creative programmes for adults with learning disabilities (DISCO DISCO); produce inclusive and accessible public events, including our flagship festival A Bit Of A Do; support artists and companies who are d/Deaf, visually impaired and/or disabled; create and tour accessible performances to local audiences; and support emerging artists to create new work.
We currently run a project called DISCO DISCO – a company of 10 adults with learning disabilities, who create contemporary performances for public audiences at events and festivals in Croydon and across London. In April 2020 we will begin a new series of weekly workshops for a second group of adults with learning disabilities, who want to take part in drama activities, socialise and increase their confidence in a more relaxed environment, without the pressure to perform in front of an audience.
We are now seeking an experienced Dramatherapist to run this new series of weekly workshops in Croydon on Monday evenings (4.30-6pm), alongside an assistant tutor.
The role will include a transitional term of 10 sessions (January – March 2020), working with the current DISCO DISCO group, alongside the current tutor / director. This will be an opportunity to meet the participants – who will in some cases be moving into the new group. From the Summer term, the Dramatherapist will run sessions with the new group every Monday, at Matthew’s Yard in Croydon. They will be assisted by a support tutor and volunteer / trainee tutor(s), and one of Drunken Chorus’s directors will be present as front of house support, and designated safeguarding officer.
We are looking for an experienced Dramatherapist who has worked with vulnerable adults, people with learning disabilities, and those who are at risk from exclusion in society and / or from developing mental health problems.
Spring: 6 January – 16 March 2020 (No session 17 February)
Summer: April – June 2020
Autumn: September – December 2020
Matthew’s Yard, Surrey Street, Croydon, CR0 1RG
- To plan and deliver weekly drama workshops for adults with learning disabilities, supporting participants in developing confidence, resilience, communication and social skills.
- To ensure the safety and wellbeing of all participants and provide additional support to individuals if required
- To establish a supportive and creative environment for participants and staff
- Liaise with Co-Artistic Director to ensure that all sessions are fully accessible, and cater to all additional needs
- To support with evaluation and tracking of participants’ progress
- At least two years’ experience as a dramatherapist or community arts tutor
- A good knowledge of safeguarding practices and procedures
- Experience of working with young people from vulnerable groups
- Knowledge of mental health and arts as therapy
- The ability to create an inclusive and supportive environment
- Warm and friendly approach to a wide range of people
- Reliable and punctual
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent communication skills
- A recent DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service) certificate
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Fee: £90 per session with 10 sessions per term
Contract: This is a freelance, fixed term contract for one year (three terms), with a three month (one term) probationary period. The candidate must be registered as self-employed and will be responsible for their own tax.
Payment: Fees will be paid by cheque, on receipt of invoices (two payments of £450 per term, at the mid-way point and end of each term). Any sessions not worked will be deducted from these amounts.
Start Date: Candidates must be available to start on Monday 6 January 2020, and be available for all sessions throughout the year (see term dates above).
If you would like to apply for the post, send a CV and cover letter or no more than 2 pages outlining your relevant experience, why you are interested in the role, and what skills and attributes you would bring to the organisation. Please send your application by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date: Midday on 13 December 2019. Late applications will not be accepted.
Drunken Chorus are currently supported by Didymus